Welcome to the Friends of Park Wood Hellingly Community Group
The ‘Friends’ was established in August 2017 in response to a proposed sale of Park Wood. Many people from Hellingly, Hailsham and the surrounding area came together to express how important they felt Park Wood is as a wildlife habitat, an historic Ancient Woodland and as a place for quiet, informal recreation. From this, the Friends were established and a clear ‘mission’ adopted:
Our Mission Statement:
To maintain and preserve the flora and fauna of this precious Ancient Woodland and to ensure free community access for present and future generations to enjoy in perpetuity. We are firmly rooted in the local community and are open to all who share an interest in fulfilling our mission; hence, the strap line:
“To help protect and preserve Park Wood for future generations.”
Become a “friend” yourself. Membership is free and details of how to join are on the become a member page. All we need is your name and email address.
Please browse our website to find out the latest news, planned meetings and events and see the growing number of inspiring photos of the Wood – and how you can get involved. If you want to find out more, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
The Friends of Park Wood – Hellingly email address is email@example.com
There is also now an information page on the Environment Agency website. The email address for the Environment Agency relating to Park Wood is: firstname.lastname@example.org or they can be contacted on 03708506506
What we have achieved:
- Stopped the sale of Park Wood by the Environment Agency
- Park Wood has been made a Community Value Asset
- Recognised as Free Access Land – Countryside and Rights of Way Act
- Created a Woodland Management Plan
- We are recognised by the EA as a community group interested in conserving Park Wood. We now have established communication with the EA
- Raised the impact of the flooding in Park Wood due to a blocked culvert with the Environment Agency
- Mapped out designated footpaths to be way marked
Our Ongoing Projects are:
- Reinstate ‘Maggie’s Bridge’
- Way markers to be implemented
- Application for legal right of way still outstanding
- Surface of the car park.